Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: The 21st Olympic Council of Malaysia Annual Dinner and Awards Night was organised on November 21 at the Tan Sri Hamzah Arena, Wisma OCM, Kuala Lumpur. The Guest of Honour was Datuk Jamil Salleh, Secretary General of the Ministry of Youth and Sports. Over 500 guests were present. The following awards were presented:
• The IOC Women and Sport Achievement 2013 Diploma: Datuk Suraya bte Yaacob,
• OCM Women & Sport Award 2013: Ms. Marina Chin and Chin Leng Sim.
• OCM Women & Sport Leadership Award 2013: Ms. Linda Geh Guat Yeow.
• OCM Women & Sport Grassroots Development Award ’13: Ms. Ee Hong.
• OCM Technical Achievement Award 2013: Ms. Beatrice and Betty Alfred Lajawa.
• OCM Partnership Award 2013: Mr. and Mrs. Abdul Hadi bin Ahmad.
• The 2013 IOC Trophy – ‘150 years Pierre de Coubertin – Sport as a Shool of Life’: The Royal Selangor Club, Kuala Lumpur, which was established in 1884.
• The following 15 former outstanding national athletes were inducted to the OCM Hall of Fame: Aminullah and Aman Karim bin E.A. Karim, Lawrence Van Huizen, Lim Heng Chek, Fong Seow Hor, Arulraj Michael, Ms. Daphne Boudville, Hector Durairatnam, Ahmad Mahmud, N. Thanabalan, Dato’ Kamaruddin bin Abdul Ghani, Rosli Abdul Kadir, Dato’ Ow Soon Kooi, Ms. M. Vasugi, Dhanaraj Rassiah and Ms. Chai Fong Ying.
In his welcome address, HRH Tunku Imran, President of OCM and IOC member, congratulated Dato’ Low Beng Choo, Chairperson of OCM’s Women & Sports Committee, for sustaining the Annual OCM Women and Sport Awards for 11 years. He expressed the hope that, with the increase in the number of Games in which Malaysia participates, there will be more female sports leaders and officials appointed to be team officials of the Malaysian contingents.
Datuk Jamil Salleh, Secretary General of the Ministry of Youth and Sports Malaysia, congratulated OCM for organising its 21st Annual Dinner and Awards Night in its own premises, the Tan Sri Hamzah Arena. He stated that having its own premises allowed OCM to recognize its past leaders and also to organise its events in a dignified manner at low cost. He congratulated OCM for inducting 15 former outstanding sports icons to the OCM Hall of Fame. He informed the guests on the benefits, the Athletes Welfare Foundation, under the Ministry of Youth and Sports is providing retired and active sportsmen and sportswomen.