Shaikh Nasser speaks to the media after the meeting
Shaikh Nasser calls for GCC body to settle sports disputes
21 Apr 2014
Kuwait: Bahrain Olympic Committee President and Supreme Council for Youth and Sports Chairman Shaikh Nasser bin Hamad Al Khalifa has called for a GCC body to settle sports disputes. The proposal came during the 28th meeting of the GCC National Olympic Committees’ Presidents in Kuwait on Monday. The meeting was part of the annual GCC summit aimed at boosting ties among NOCs in the Gulf region.
In the key meeting of the summit - which was chaired by Kuwait Olympic Committee President Shaikh Dr Talal Al Ahmed Al Sabah - Shaikh Nasser proposed to set up a regional organisation comprising athletes, sports federations, national clubs and NOCs to look into disputes over sports-related issues.
Shaikh Nasser’s initiative was welcomed by all the Presidents of the GCC NOCs, who directed the general secretaries to coordinate with the GCC General Secretariat to put forward a draft proposal at the next meeting.
In other news:
* The 2nd GCC Beach Games in Doha, Qatar, has been postponed from October 2014 to April 2015.
* The 2nd GCC Games will take place in Dammam, Saudi Arabia, from October 18-28, 2015.
* The UAE will host the first edition of the GCC Junior Games in 2016.
* Shaikh Nasser honoured the winners of the GCC Sport and Environment Award and the best GCC Sport Organising Committee.
* The Presidents of the GCC NOCs congratulated Shaikh Nasser on winning the recent Dubai Triathlon.
Article submitted by Bahrain Olympic Committee